Today I am sharing 5 alternatives to basic window coverings.
There are so many different options when it comes to window coverings instead of taking the basic route! I am not one to opt for plain or basic decor when there are so many gorgeous options available if you know where to look.
My motto for the things that I buy is that I can only get something if I am obsessed with it. I really don't want anything in my house or closet that I don't love because that item just gets pushed to the side and takes up space. This principle applies to EVERYTHING in my house, even the window coverings!
As I'm sure you have gathered from previous posts, I am passionate about home decor and design and feel life is too short to not be crazy about your space. One detail in a space that can make it cozy, airy, and inviting is the window covering.
As some of you know (if you are signed up for my newsletter), Chay and I are moving once again (I'll explain for those of you who are new to my blog in a post very soon!)! After having been in Redondo Beach for a year and 3 months (but who's counting?), we realized we really wanted to be in LA again. However, a couple months ago this option wasn't really on the table and I was getting really tired of our old school windows with ugly dust collecting white cardboard shades. I finally got around to ordering my dream black iron curtain rods with white linen drapes for the main rooms as well as bamboo roll down shades for the bedrooms . Of course, shortly thereafter an amazing home pops up that is perfect for us, but thankfully we can use these coverings in the new house.
I can't tell you what a difference it made to have these gorgeous curtains and rods up. It seems silly to say but it made all the difference in the way the room felt. All of a sudden, it went from being a kinda quirky space to a polished and inviting one. I also learned a few tricks! Here are some tips I learned from my hunt for the perfect window coverings.
1. If you have the wall space above the window, hang the curtains from the highest point possible to make the windows feel bigger and the ceiling feel taller.
2. Have the drapes kiss the floor. Meaning, for a more streamlined home, dont allow them to drape or gather, or be visibly floating above the ground.
3. Pottery Barn has gorgeous white linen drapes and curtain rods! I don't normally shop here but was so happy with their window covering game.
4. Bamboo shades are a really affordable option for stylish rooms that want some warmth but also feel light and airy.
5. Curtain rings really elevate a space and make the drapery feel that much more substantial. However, they are expensive and add up really fast. So these would be best if you're really planning on investing.
See below for 5 Window Covering Options I LOVE and why:
5 Window Covering options