MY Top 6 Reasons You Need to Start Drinking Matcha
There are certain things I continually rave about in my life. From my favorite skincare products to restaurants I am in love with, I love to share things that I know others would benefit from. My friends and family know this about me. I am like a walking spokesperson for things I feel passionate about! Well, matcha is one of those things for me. It's not like matcha is this secret new thing, but I don't think everyone who drinks it is fully aware of all its benefits! I also think that those that aren't as into the taste would reconsider drinking it because it's more than just a smooth and earthy addition to a latte or iced tea. Check out my top 6 favorite benefits of matcha and the top reason I swear by it!
1. TORCHES BODY FAT: Yes please!! This is huge. Matcha torches body fat, burns calories, and speeds up your metabolism! Green Tea is known for its thermogenic effects but some don't realize that matcha is pure green tea leaf. Meaning, it packs a much more powerful punch than green tea because you ingest the entire leaf, receiving all the benefits. Furthermore, in a study done by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, it was found that drinking matcha can increase thermogenesis from 8%-10% to anywhere between %35-%43!!! I would literally drink sewer water for those benefits!
2 . CANCER FIGHTER: "One cup of matcha tea has as many antioxidants as 10 cups of brewed green tea" via Matcha Source . Many fruits and vegetables have powerful antioxidants but they all pale in comparison to matcha. A study published by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition also found that women who drank green tea showed lower risk of colon, stomach, and throat cancer.
3. DETOXIFICATION: Thanks to the potent green chlorophyll that gives matcha its color, we can also detoxify our bodies by drinking our daily iced tea or latte (try to sub nut milk with dairy milk for more detoxifying benefits). Chlorophyll helps eliminate heavy metals and chemicals from the body helping to cleanse the blood. It also helps maintain the alkalinity of blood and tissues.
4. CONCENTRATION: I can truly use more of this! In a world filled with constant distractions, I depend on the focus I gain from matcha. Honestly, it makes such a huge difference in my daily activity. I can tell the the immediate difference between my lack of focus around 3pm when I'm lagging, to 5 minutes after drinking my matcha iced tea! Matcha is rich in L-Theanine, a rare amino acid that aids in concentration and a calm alertness. Our brain induces beta waves when we are stressed, however L-Theanine induces Alpha waves leading to a sense of calm and focus.
5. IMMUNITY: We all hate getting sick. It sucks! So why not boost your immunity now by drinking matcha? Naturally containing various antioxidants, polyphenols, EGCG, and L-theanine, these factors contribute in boosting the immune system and provide protection against infection and disease.
6. ENERGY: In addition to its strong effects on focus, matcha provides long lasting energy without the jitters! Matcha contains Theophylline which is much different from the caffeine found in coffee. Theophylline releases over the course of hours, giving sustained energy without the harsh and upsetting effects coffee can have on an individual. No spike in blood sugar here, just long lasting energy.
Honestly, matcha is the closest I have come to discovering the Fountain of Youth. It has more healthy benefits than anything else I have come across (to my knowledge.. let me know if you know of something more potent!) and is easy to drink! I truly love the taste of it and enjoy the focused alertness it provides. I also feel like I can tangibly tell my metabolism is faster, but that might be my wishful thinking!
Keep in mind: like all things, certain individuals may have adverse effects from drinking matcha due to an allergy or sensitivity to it. If you are sensitive to caffeine at all, take caution just in case.
Try it our for yourself and let me know what you think in the comments:) My favorite brands are listed below!
1. Matcha Bar