(So that you can feel happy and satisfied in life.)
Such a scary word, yet without risk it's pretty difficult to accomplish anything in life. With great risk comes great reward, right?
So why is it so hard to take that risk we have been wanting... desiring to take? Because all people like to be comfortable! Of course. Who doesn't?
Predictability is a large part of comfort, and human beings are wired to pursue comfort and predictability. Its innate and essential in some ways in order to have stability and healthy relationships. For instance, marriage is a good example of ways we should push through, remain committed, and pursue the predictable...staying married (unless of course there are outside influences that warrant a divorce or some sort of abuse but of course I am not referring to that!) Jumping ship because you might be bored or tired of trying would be a negative risk...Not necessarily leading to a fulfilling and life giving experience.
I am talking about positive risk. The type of risk that you have always wanted to take but didn't feel brave enough to try. The kind of risk that would actually feel good because you KNOW you have the chops to succeed in "X" risk...whether it be a new job, starting a business, putting yourself out there with a you tube channel as a creative outlet, finally taking that trip you have been dying to take but didnt feel like figuring out, or even pursuing that person you feel is out of your league.
Heres the thing, if you don't try, you will always wonder if life could have been different.
Here are 5 reasons why you should DEFINITELY take risk:
1. Not taking risk is simply not getting what you want, 100% of the time . If you risk it, your percentage of success automatically goes up.
2. If you don't take that chance, you might always wonder what could have been, and regret is worse than trying and not getting what you want. At least when you take the risk you can sleep easy knowing you took a chance on yourself.
3. Failure doesnt exist when you risk. Success is relative and taking risk is success in and of itself. Taking the leap is a win from the very beginning!
4. Many people wish they could take the risk they have been wanting to, but dont feel they have the courage. By taking a risk, you are impacting family and friends by showing them that they too can pursue their dream or passion. After all, what's the worst that can happen? You end up right back to where you are right now (unless you put all your money in stock and lose it all...in that case youd be wayyyyy worse off, but I wouldn't suggest that. DEFINITELY don't take that risk!)
5. YOU CAN VERY WELL SUCCEED AND KILL IT, and how amazing would that be?! Risk taking is scary but also totally gratifying. It pays off in more ways than you might even realize in the short term, because it helps you to beleive in yourself! By taking risks, over time you will be able to look back and say 'wow, I took risks and succeeded in some (or all), therefore I know I have it in me to succeed, work hard, and get what I want".
Before you take risk...
I would not suggest to just anyone to try any old idea. I think its important to take risk when you know you have a skill or passion that you can genuinely seeing yourself work at. Its essential to be realisitic. If you cannot imagine doing annoying things like editing video or pictures but are dying to be a blogger, than I'd say you might hate the day to day of blogging (unless you have the funds to outsource the menial tasks, which most people do not have) . No risk is without hardship or frustration, but the reward in the end can be amazing if you go in with a clear mindset.
I have learned in my own life that risk is super scary and has been hard when I didnt get what I wanted. However, by taking risk I have seen that I am a very capable person. That lesson alone is huge for me! I need that reinforcement in my own life as much as the next person.
You Can Do It.
I hope this post helped to encourage you that you too are capable and have so much more potential than you probably beleive. I encourage you to evaluate what you want out of life, see what is in your control to make that happen, and take positive and thoughtful risk to pursue what you want.
I'd love to know what you have been wanting to take risk on. Let me know in the comments below if you feel comfortable. xo!